Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Good Songs: March 2009 Edition

Photobucket
March 2009 Edition
(A quick recap of some of the best songs from albums I reviewed in the month of March)


"Ince Ince Bir Kar Yagar" by Selda Bagcan (from Love, Peace & Poetry: Turkish Psychedelic Music)
Yeah, so her voice is grating on a near fingernails-on-a-chalkboard level and she sounds like a twelve year-old boy. What of it? Just about everyone I've played this track for can't stand it, but somehow it doesn't bother me at all. It's about the EMOTION, MAN! I've probably listened to this song on repeat more so than any song this year so far.








"Jan Pahechan Ho" by Mohammed Rafi (from Bombshell Baby of Bombay)
I didn't pay a lot of attention to this song when I first heard it on the opening credits of Ghost World, but hearing it on CD has given me a newfound respect for it. That horn section is absolutely epic. If it hasn't been sampled and put in a rap song yet, the producers of the world are sleeping on it big time.








"Hey Young World" by Slick Rick
I remember hearing a lot of "Children's Story" growing up, but somehow I missed this single. Another one of Slick Rick's cautionary tales, the soft, rhythmic beat is definitely Slick Rick's best production work on the album. If only he had heeded his own advice we would've gotten more songs of this quality.








"Black Pussy" by The Watts Prophets
The most epic song in the Watts Prophet's catalog, this four-minute celebration of you-know-what is delivered with extreme passion and really benefits from the frantic trumpet and whoops and yells of the other poets in the background.









No comments: