Monday, June 15, 2009

Breaking the Hiatus


I didn't mean for my writing hiatus to last this long, but you know how things can go. I was on my honeymoon for the remainder of May, and the last weekend of that month was spent packing up and moving into the new apartment I'm writing from at this very moment. My excuses ran out as of the beginning of June, though, and my lack of any form of writing since then has come down to a few reasons. Firstly I suppose is writer's block. I've sure been listening to a lot of good music, including my haul from record stores in the Northwest during my honeymoon, but the words necessary to review them have been hard to come by. I can sit in front of my computer and try to force the words to come out, but up to this point that has been time wasted. Writer's block, indeed.

Or maybe not. I've actually spent quite a lot of time outdoors recently. My new apartment is located right in front of a scenic, six-mile series of parks with a running trail, basketball courts, and a disc golf course. Naturally, I've spent the past couple of weeks running, practicing my jump shot, and trying to lose as few Frisbee's as possible to the man made lake that stretches the length of the park. I've been out of commission on the exercise front for a while, so it's nice getting outside and getting back into shape. My fitness is beginning to crawl back to pre-wedding levels, and now that I've recently found a tennis buddy, that crawl will likely turn into a sprint pretty soon. I'm enjoying the summer and enjoying getting outside and breaking a sweat for the first time in a while.

Looking at it this way, who could really blame me for not cooping myself inside in front of a computer when there's so many things to do in close proximity outdoors? Does this mean that I'm done writing in this blog? Nah, I'm just trying to find a balance between new and long-standing hobbies, so naturally there's some sacrifice involved. I'll still post regularly, just maybe not on such a rigid schedule. I've always liked writing about and sharing music, so I don't see that going away completely. More posts coming soon. I promise.


No comments: