Thursday, December 18, 2008

Opeth - Watershed (2008)

Photobucket
Opeth - Watershed (2008)

Opeth are one of those bands that have always been recommended to me. The one that often comes up casually in conversation from excited fanboys who make the comparison of _____________(insert metal band) to Opeth and are slightly, or not so slightly, taken aback when I can't say the reference hits home for me due to unfamiliarity. They're that band whose album's have always topped year-end lists and that I've made a mental note to check out but never did for some reason...until this year.

I'll remember Watershed as the album with which I finally took the leap.
I'll also remember Watershed as the album that permanently killed any interest I had in Opeth.

This is so beyond terrible that it takes an extreme level of patience for me to listen to it in one sitting. My first go-round with it spanned over a period of three days. Two days for my second listen. The last few I've been able to manage within a day, which recently culminated with the Herculean effort of actually listening to it all without stopping. I consider this one of the hardest things I've done all year. Please keep in mind that this is the same year that I ran my first marathon, juggled two jobs, began teaching English to African refugees, proposed to my girlfriend, revealed our plans to marry to her skeptical parents and successfully convinced them I wasn't just in it for the money. Somewhere in-between all of that: Opeth.

If I'm being honest, I don't dislike the music on Watershed as much as I dislike the humorlessness of the music on Watershed. Opeth are exactly the kind of band, and this the exact kind of music, that shouldn't take itself seriously. But I've seen no obvious indication to the contrary. Despite how technically sound the music is, it's still being played by long-haired, bearded dudes in their 30's who's fashion sense (all black) has not matured since high school. I pity the fool who can't see the humor in that.

And on that note, here's one more reason I'll remember Watershed: it's the album that made me realize just how badly metal needs more Devin Townsend's (of metal band Strapping Young Lad fame). Meaning, a guy that plays the music, respects the music, but also realizes the music is kind of silly if you really think about it.


Score: 3/10








"Porcelain Heart"


No comments: