Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Digital Good Time: "Fur In My Cap"

Photobucket
Digital Good Time: "Fur In My Cap"
(Digital Good Time is a feature in which xoxobra focuses on the visual side of music)


If you've payed attention to the videos I post on this feature, you may notice my tendency to post videos that take a relatively simple concept and use it in a creative or funny way. The technique used in Rob Roy's "Fur In My Cap" should be nothing new to those familiar with Late Night with Conan O'Brien and his mock via satellite interviews with the likes of Martha Stewart and Arnold Schwarzenegger, which used still pictures of the celebs with the mouth masked out and layered it on top of live video to simulate talking. It was fucking hilarious, and seeing this video made me wonder why the effect hasn't been used more often.

Though precise technical proficiency isn't required to pull this off successfully, the director, Ethan Lader, did a pretty good job of matching the lighting and angle of the mouth with that of the still picture. My only complaint (besides the painfully average song) is that he didn't expand more on the other animated elements, such as the bicycle wheels at the beginning. A few more embellishments like that could've made a good video excellent. But still, he's a talented director and this one's worth checking out.




Links:
Ethan Lader
Rob Roy


No comments: