Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No one watches the Watchmen...title sequence.

Photobucket


In this space I had originally hoped to post the opening credits to the new Watchmen movie (which I've seen twice as of this writing, and I very rarely see movies twice). The six-minute sequence, designed by the film's director Zack Snyder with help from visual effects studio yU+Co, is a stunning montage consisting of layers of still imagery mixed with subtle movement and 3D effects, set to the Bob Dylan song "The Times They Are A-Changing". While it's essentially an animatic with gorgeous cinematography, the sequence works so well at establishing the mood of the movie, and contains a lot of easter eggs for fans of the comic. It's one of the most effective title sequences I've seen in a long while.

Maybe you've heard about it already, and that's because it's awesome. Many felt it was the best part of the entire movie. I'd love to be able to embed the sequence so you can bask in all its glory (if you haven't already), but unfortunately the sequence, originally available to view online on yU+Co's website, has been taken down due to pressure from Warner Bros Pictures and is now nowhere to be found online (at least not for long). I could complain about this further, as many have already done in various spaces online where the video used to be posted. I could argue about free publicity and the power of the internet. I could post or embed a link to the latest source to carry the sequence knowing that it will be obsolete in no time. But nah, I think most of what's been said about Warner Bros' ridiculous decision to block this small section of the film from being seen outside of a theater (not to mention denying yU+Co, the effects company who helped created it, the right to proudly display their project) has already been said. I'm just posting this to let them know that I agree with them.

Links:
yU+Co
Motionographer article on the sequence


No comments: