Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Songs: April 2009 Edition

Photobucket
Good Songs: April 2009 Edition
(A quick recap of some of the best songs from albums I reviewed in the month of April)

There weren't many good songs in the month of April, mainly because I didn't write a lot of reviews, so I'll fatten this feature up a bit by taking an opportunity to post some video of the from the 1-on-1's & Heartbreaks breakdancing competition I posted aboutearlier this week. Here's the final battle. The guy in the yellow hat (whose name I can't remember) would emerge victorious.



This is the kind of video I'll be working with in After Effects. I still need to edit what clips I want to use and then decide on what kind of look I want to give it. There will probably be some storyboarding and art tests involved, so I'll update my progress as I....make...progress. Anyway, GOOD SONGS!



"Drunken Leaves" by Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound
Assemble Head are at their best when they do these types of songs, and this one is well-placed on the album as it really picks things up. It's just a really classic-sounding, surf-rock tune. I could listen to this on repeat a lot.








"Down Foe My Thang" by Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony
Yeah, I didn't actually review Bone's Creepin' On Ah Come Up EP, but since I picked it up a few days ago it has not left my stereo, bringing back good memories of my childhood just like their full-length E. 1999 Eternal did (as I wrote about here). This song is so fucking haaaaaard. The epitome of gangsta rap.








"Absolutely" by Doom
I love this beat. Just a really chill, laid-back sound with a smooth flow. I wish this album had more songs like it.








"Oblivion" by Mastodon
A rather subtle start to an album by Mastodon's standards, but the Mastodon on Crack The Skye isn't quite the same Mastodon. They're much more focused this time around. I love Brent Hinds' soulful vocals on this song. It really sets it apart from the IN-YOUR-FUCKING-FACE disposition of some of their other material.








"Crack The Skye" by Mastodon

"Okay, xoxobra. You love Mastodon's new album. We get it. *rolls eyes* Holy shit."









No comments: