Monday, May 11, 2009

Revisited: Sub.bionic - You I Lov/// (2002)

Photobucket
Revisited: Sub.bionic - You I Lov/// (2002)
(I mentioned this band in Friday's feature and decided I'd share this old story of how I discovered this album)

Growing up in Cincinnati, I would often listen to WOXY on 97.9 FM before it went off the air and became a popular internet radio station (which sadly folded for good in the fall of 2006). Seeing as I had only just discovered the radio station in the year 2001 when I got my first car, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such a resource for independent music right in my own town. It was a nice escape from the horrors of Clear Channel radio stations, where Nickelback and P.O.D. dominated the airwaves that year. I was able to listen to bands I had never heard of, none of which ever got overplayed.

WOXY got me into more bands than I feel like listing here, but one of them, as you may have guessed, was Sub.Bionic. I heard the song "Reply (Without Recourse)" one day while driving home from work and knew immediately that I had to have the album. The only problem was that it was impossible to find. I was just getting into independent music at the time, so I wasn't quite sure how to go about finding CD's that Best Buy didn't carry. No one on WinMX (one of the post-Napster clones) had their songs available to download. Even the internet provided very little information on the band. And I never heard the song played on WOXY again. To this day, I've yet to come across a website or even a MySpace page that documents the band in detail.

I finally did find an independent record store that was able to order the album for me, several months later. Thankfully, after all that time searching, the album didn't disappoint. It was mostly typical of the indie rock sound of the day, which I enjoyed back then but have since grown tired of. But even listening to it these days, be it because of nostalgia or whatever, there's a lot to like. The album starts nicely with "The Last Song on Earth", which totally wasn't the last song on earth, but shows the bands knack for embellished, over-produced soft rock. The band obviously knows a lot of studio tricks and/or plays a lot of instruments. Though there are only five musicians, you'd swear there were at least double that amount on each song, with the exception of the excellent, acoustic marvel "God In Neutral". The simple guitar riff is repeated throughout and backed occasionally, and effectively, by piano keys and keyboard effects. The singer desperately delivers powerful lines ("...for you don't know shit like you're daddy does!") before launching into the cryptic, nerd-tastic chorus ("You're just two bytes of RAM size numb on a hard drive"). The song is probably some statement on society or something, but hell if I know. I never studied the lyrics sheet and tried to get to the bottom of the meaning. Tough. Good song though.

"Reply (Without Recourse)" was as good as I remembered, with it's lazy yet memorable, effects-laden riff carrying the chorus as the singer croons something about multiplying and amplifying his love, his voice maintaining a delicate balance between Matthew Belamy (Muse) and Matt Berninger (The National) in it's own way. The song trickles on quietly before reaching this emotional chorus with a subtle, almost glacial feel, and trickles out the same way, acting as sort of the calm before and after the storm. "Phonophobic" is the only outright indie pop song on the album, and as far as my research went, the only proper single that spawned a video. The song ditches most of the extra instruments and tricks in favor of the traditional guitars, bass, and drums. It's catchy for sure, but almost too easy and dumbed down for their talent. The only real sour point on the album comes, conveniently, on the last track, "Nuclear Bomb Parade". I say "conveniently" because it's easy to just turn the CD off before the song comes on. The song attempts to be heavy with fuzzed guitar, distorted drums and vocals, and a faster pace. While not a totally terrible song, it sticks out like a sore thumb on this album much in the same way "Dog Door" did on Sparklehorse's It's A Wonderful Life album. Putting this song on an album where there's nothing but soft, orchestrated rock makes it seem out of place and tacked on.

Overall it's a nice listen. I'd like to hear more from this band, but it seems that they will continue to exist in relative obscurity and have probably disbanded. Which would be a shame, since this album showed some real potential.









"Reply (Without Recourse)"


No comments: