Friday, September 19, 2008

Harvey Milk - Life...The Best Game In Town (2008)


Harvey Milk - Life...The Best Game In Town (2008)


Sometimes an album just finds you at the right time...or you find it; however it works. I was looking for something sludgy and heavy after realizing that 2008 had brought somewhat of a drought in the metal department for me. Add to that my fiancee was out of town and I had absolutely no idea what I should do with myself. The fact that I exclusively listened to Life...The Best Game in Town in the midst of that ten day period -- which was filled with a Grand Theft Auto IV binge, maintaining my worst diet and hygiene habits since college, and not really bothering to get dressed and do anything productive unless it was absolutely necessary -- was actually really fitting in hindsight.

This, my friends, is man music. Huge sludge riffs. Deep growls. Rock with balls -- man music. Macho man music minus Macho Man. You can almost smell the beer, cigarettes, sweat, unwashed clothes, and farts emulating from this album. Rumor has it that listening to this makes chest and facial hair grow faster (it worked for me!). It makes having a breakfast consisting of soda pop and frozen pizza left sitting out overnight sound like a good idea.

Absurdity aside, Life..The Best Game in Town really is a pleasure. The opening track,"Death Goes to the Winner" starts off deceptively as a harmonic ballad before Creston Spiers gruff vocals and the hammering kick-drum and guitar riff storms in. From that point, the energy of the album seldom drops. On top of having plenty of sludge to satisfy what I was looking for, the album also mixes elements of punk and avant garde metal to keep things fresh. There's still time for this album to be dethroned, but right now, this is tops for me in the metal category for 2008.

Score: 9/10








"Skull Socks & Rope Shoes"








"Roses"


No comments: