Thursday, November 6, 2008

Digital Good Time VI

Photobucket
Digital Good Time VI
(Digital Good Time is a series in which xoxobra focuses on the visual side of music)

A few years ago I came upon a book in the bookstore called The Art of Modern Rock, a collection of gig posters created throughout the 80's and 90's for a ton of bands by a ton of illustrators. Priced at $75, it never left the bookstore, but it did leave an impression on me. For a while after that, I entertained the idea of concert poster illustration, which, like music video directing, I saw as another way in which music and the arts mixed. Of the artists I researched during that time, Arik "Moonhawk" Roper quickly became my favorite gig poster artist.

His signature style of dark, surrealistic, fantasy watercolors never failed to impress, whether they graced album artwork, gig posters, or other music related prints. One of his most recent projects, for Ancestors excellent debut album Neptune With Fire (which I reviewed here), inspired me to pay tribute to the man by featuring some of my favorite pieces of his.


Photobucket
Illustration for Guitar World Magazine (2007)

Photobucket
Illustration for Revolver Magazine (2006)

Photobucket
T-shirt design (2006)

Photobucket
Illustration for Arthur Magazine (2006)

Photobucket
Another illustration for Arthur Magazine (2006)

Photobucket
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull album cover (2008)



No comments: