Thursday, November 20, 2008

One Be Lo - Project F.E.T.U.S. (2002)

Photobucket
One Be Lo - Project F.E.T.U.S. (2002)

I didn't really expect much from Project F.E.T.U.S. (For Everybody That UnderStands) when I picked it up. Though I thought it'd be worth my time I figured that, having already been involved in two near-classic albums in S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. (Sounds Of Nashid Originate Good Rhymes And Music) and Binary Star's Masters Of The Universe (M.O.T.U.?), One Be Lo couldn't possibly have sustained himself for three in a row. In hindsight, I realize how foolish this was, as Project For Everybody That UnderStands finds Lo in a transitional period, thus combining some of the best elements from both albums.

What immediately stands out is the beats. I've never payed much attention to One Be Lo or Decompoze's production on Lo's other albums, but here they command more attention. That's partly because of how varied they are, which could be seen as a flaw since the album has trouble establishing much in the way of harmony as far as production goes. But considering this was originally supposed to be a mixtape, it's easy to forgive. For what must have been a fairly low budget recording, overall they're well done. Fittingly, the re-released version of the album comes with a second disk of instrumental tracks.

Lyrically, Project For Everybody That UnderStands has more in common with M.O.T.U. than Sounds Of Nashid Originate Good Rhymes And Music, as Lo is still more of a battle rapper whereas on Sounds Of Nashid Originate Good Rhymes And Music he moves onto the more conscious rap route. There are several clever, "dope punchline[s]" on this album that I wish I had thought of myself, including, but not limited to:

"For every promise made I fulfill with the skill
No matter what the doctor prescribe I stay ill."

"Them cats know they ain't live

Like Bruce Willis in Sixth Sense."

"You're rhymes worth piss in a pot

If knowledge was the key you'd be picking the lock."

"I'd probably have to get a second job

And you know I got a felony so it's like 'Hi! Welcome to Burger King!'"

And my absolute favorite:

"You wanna battle me? What for?

I rock heads like Mount Rushmore: for (four) dead presidents."

Of course, One Be Lo is no stranger to occasional absurdity, as is displayed in the song "The Grinch That...", a cautionary tale warning about the evils of Santa Clause. It's such a silly song (aimed less at the listener and more at the listeners six year old nephew) that if I didn't know any better about him and his devotion to his faith that I might question if it was thrown on the album as a joke. Lo is usually prone to an out of place, ridiculous lyric or two from time to time, but here he just got a little too excited. He's never come off as preachy on other albums that I've heard, but he came closer than ever with this song. Thankfully, this is the albums' only misstep, which he makes up for almost immediately with the mostly spoken word "Candlestick", a type of song that I'd love to hear more of from him.

Overall, this album is almost as good as M.O.T.U. and Sounds Of Nashid Originate Good Rhymes And Music. You'd be hard pressed to find a more prolific artist in the first half of the decade than Lo.


Score: 8/10








"Anybody"








"Fast Food Remix (featuring Magestik Legend, DeCompoze, Illite)"


No comments: