Friday, November 14, 2008

Scott Walker - The Drift (2006)

Photobucket
Scott Walker - The Drift (2006)

I'm having a hard time coming up with the proper hyperbole for just how terrible this album is. It's quite possibly the worst album that I've bothered to listen to in it's entirety, and I say this having a fiancée who casually enjoys 80's pop music and a good friend who once adored Killswitch Engage. Yes, that is how bad The Drift is.

Though I hated this album from the outset, I still gave it chances because I found it so hard to believe that this was one of the most acclaimed albums of 2006. I figured I must be missing something. But I later came to realize that The Drift is just one pathetic failed experiment. When it tries to be brooding and atmospheric it ends up being boring. When it tries to be dramatic and scary it ends up being utterly laughable, like some prepubescent crackly-voiced teenager in a cheap mask that jumps out at you and growls during any number of shoddy "haunted house" productions that go up around town during Halloween, except I have no incentive to hold in my laughter so as not to make the kid feel bad. I mean, at least he tried. I'm not sure if I could even say that much for Walker.

Unless...unless my theory holds true. That being that this album is just one big joke that Scott Walker is playing on all of the overly pretentious art fucks out there, and that on his deathbed he'll just be like "Hey man, you know that Drift album I did? PSYCHE!! HAHAHAHA I purposely set out to make the worst album I could without it being completely obvious just to see if people would catch on, AND THEY TOTALLY DIDN'T! Just goes to show you that people wouldn't know the difference between good art and bad art if it punched them in the face."

I don't even have the energy to describe how this album sounds and I barely feel like wasting the server space to upload tracks, but for examples sake, I've given you the first one. I'll warn you, though, it just gets worse from there.



Score: 1/10








"Cossacks Are"




No comments: