Monday, November 17, 2008

Nadja - Truth Becomes Death (2005)

Photobucket
Nadja - Truth Becomes Death (2005)

Screw it. I'm just going to try stream-of-consciousness writing for this one. The truth is that I've had this for a while but have been unable to find the words necessary to review it. I guess the easy way to do it would be to just say what I think about it. Well, it's awesome, like one of the best albums I've heard this year kind of awesome. And I suppose that's all that really needs to be said. The point of any review is basically to express how you feel about the album and why the reader should care. I've already taken care of the first part.

The second part I've already screwed up by admitting that I can't find the words for it. I've just outright admitted that I'm not a person who capable of reviewing this album, so there's no reason for the reader to stick around. But assuming that one does, I'll keep going.

Truth Becomes Death is one of those albums that makes you understand the potential of a genre. Drone doom metal had been around in some form for years before this album came around. Earth and Sunn O))) aren't exactly small names in the metal world. Neither is Justin Broadrick, who has made the sound a little more accessible with his Jesu project. But when I was getting my feet wet with the genre, it was hard to find the album that made me care about it; that made me see it as more than white noise. Truth Becomes Death is that album, for me. Just like Lightning Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain helped me see what can be made from noise rock, Truth Becomes Death has helped me understand what drone doom metal, in all it's heavy, suffocating glory, is capable of.

So if there's one thing to take out of that paragraph, it's that anyone interested in exploring drone doom would be doing themselves a favor by making this one of the first albums they check out. It's pretty much a modern classic.


Score: 9.5/10








"Bug/Golem"


No comments: