Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10 The Hard Way: MF Doom

Photobucket
10 The Hard Way: MF Doom
(10 The Hard Way is a feature in which xoxobra compiles a top ten list of whatever he sees fit)


Born Into This, the new and long awaited solo album from MF Doom, should've been in my CD player last Tuesday. It's been three years this month since Doom has released an album full of new material (the Dangerdoom collaboration with Danger Mouse), so of course a lot of people were excited that he was coming out of hiatus. But then there were those of us who considered Doom's erratic behavior as of late (past promises of new material that never saw the light of day; sending imposters to perform on stage in his place; getting called out for such activities by rival rappers) and took the cynical "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

Which was smart, because October 21st came and all we had was a statement regarding the album's indefinite delay. Surprise surprise.

Despite my increasing level of annoyance with Doom, I'm still probably going to want to check out any new album he releases, if ever, whatever it's called. In the meantime, though, I thought I'd compile a list of my favorite songs he has recorded under the MF Doom moniker, his most well-known and commonly used. This of course excludes any material he's recorded as Viktor Vaughn, King Geedorah, or Zev Love X as a member of KMD. Check it out, y'all.



10) "Kon Karne" (from Mm...Food)







Capped off by a dedication to his deceased brother DJ Subroc, "Kon Karne" is carried by a typically sick flow and gentle piano keys mixed with a simple 80's beat. Bueno.

9) "A.T.H.F." (from The Mouse & The Mask)







The Mouse & The Mask is admittedly light on standout tracks, but if any one does manage to catch my attention, it's "A.T.H.F.", which has the distinction of being basically the best rap song/commercial I've ever heard. I'm not even particularly a fan of the show but still enjoy this track. Danger Mouse's old-school style hip hop beat really bangs, more or less carrying the track.

8) "Rapp Snitch Knishes" (from Mm...Food)







Featuring a great guest verse from Mr. Fantastik, the biggest appeal of this song lies in it's use of a great electric guitar riff in the beat. Not often do I hear a rap song with rock guitars that I like, but this is an obvious exception.

7) "Rhinestone Cowboy" (from Madvilliany)







Not a cover song (though can you imagine how interesting that would sound?), but a strong album closer so confident in it's success that the applause is built right into the track. More soul than a sock with a hole, indeed.

6) "Dead Bent" (from Operation: Doomsday)







If you're going to use the string section from one of my favorite Isaac Hayes songs ("Walk On By") then you can expect to catch my attention. And when you pull if off so well, you can expect much kudos.

5) "Rainbows" (from Madvilliany)







Possibly the closest thing to a true stoner rap song ever recorded, "Rainbows" is a strange, off-kilter track that seems to have been put together in a druggy haze. The nonsensical lyrics (censored by an orange block in the album liner notes) only add to the songs draw. And the horns. Gotta love the horns.

4) "Who You Think I Am?" (from Operation: Doomsday)







A fantastic group rap track in the vein of "Protect Ya Neck", this one seems to long for the days of old school hip hop and feels every bit as nostalgic.

3) "Curls" (from Madvilliany)







Probably the best beat by Madlib on the entire album complete with another solid verse from Doom. The only thing that holds this song back from higher placement is it's (too short) length. I'm all down for songs not overstaying their welcome, but I wouldn't have minded being spoiled for a little longer by this one.

2) "Potholderz" (from Mm...Food)







Awww shit. Perhaps my favorite song on Mm...Food. The beat is totally laid back and fits both Doom and Count Bass D's solid yet lackadaisical delivery.

1) "Great Day" (from Madvilliany)







None are more deserving of the stop spot. Lyrically, this is about as good as it gets from Doom, who drops some of his most well-known lines in just two and a half minutes of run time. I've seldom been floored by a lyric, but this one did it: "Last wish: I wish I had two more wishes/And I wish they fix the door to the matrix it's mad glitches/Spit so many verses sometime my jaw twitches/One thing this party could use is more...booze." And props to Madlib for being the only person on earth who could turn a 70's commercial jingle into a good rap beat.


No comments: