Friday, October 17, 2008

Bach - Complete Sonatas And Partitas For Solo Violin (1993)


Bach - Complete Sonatas And Partitas For Solo Violin BWV 1001-1006 [Grumiaux] (1993)


So yeah...classical. I'm trying to get into it to the point where I can name names and have favorite artists rather than occasionally accidentally turning to the classical station while I'm trying to find NPR and thinking "Oh, this sounds nice."

I'm on my way, I think. I saw Complete Sonatas And Partitas in a book about music (1000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die) that I was looking at while I was bored at a Barnes & Noble. The writer considered it to be one of his favorites, so I picked it up from the library a few days later. A friend of mine, who knows a thing or two about classical, saw my choice and asked "Oh, you like sonatas and partitas?"

"Um...I, uh...sure?"

Of course I have no idea what sonatas and partitas are exactly. I'd like to say that I've looked it up since then and have studiously researched such topics, but nah. I'd also like to say that I knew how to actually dissect a classical album; point out the impressive parts or highlight exceptional playing, but dammit I'm just not that awesome yet. So I'm going to go ahead and fall back on "Oh, this sounds nice".

Well hey, it really does! I'm not just saying that to say it. Arthur Grumiaux, from what I've read and what I heard here, is a very skilled violinist. There are many times throughout this double album where I swore that I was hearing a group rather than one violinist. But if you're looking for a more in depth reason as to why and what this albums' strengths are, I'm not your guy (try the dude who wrote the aforementioned book). The best I can tell you is that this is the most relaxing album I've heard in a while, perfect for playing in the background while you do schoolwork or act snooty while sitting in your study wearing a monocle and reading your original pressing of Moby Dick which was personally autographed by Melville himself...or whatever people prefer to do when they put on classical music hell I don't know.


Score: 7.5/10









"II. Corrente"








"Partita 1-1: Allemanda"


No comments: