Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood (2007)


Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood (2007)


Many soundtracks, be it for a movie or a game, fail to garner the same emotion when the listener isn't familiar with the visual element. Therefore, opinions of the music can vary based on ones fondness of the media that the music accompanied. Of course this isn't always the case. I quite enjoyed Curtis Mayfield's Superfly soundtrack though I've never seen the movie in it's entirety (judging by the few parts I have seen here or there, I'm not sure I ever want to see it in it's entirety). But that's Curtis effing Mayfield we're talking about there. Other scores by lesser artists don't always bode as well. Having already seen the modern masterpiece that is There Will Be Blood, it's nearly impossible for me to separate the music from the drama and the gorgeous cinematography that these songs highlighted, so I can only speak hypothetically when I say that I probably would've enjoyed this soundtrack without having seen the movie.

"Prospectors Arrive" is the standout moment by far. I loved the song in the movie and I love it even more coming out of my stereo. The string arrangements here create the most achingly beautiful piece of music I've heard since, well, "Reckoner". Though I hate to bring Radiohead into the mix, I can't help but wonder how much more awesome this song would've been with Thom Yorke's vocals. But as it is, it's still one of the best songs of the year so far. "Henry Plainview" is an intense piece of music, the cello and violins melting together to create a feeling of darkness and uneasiness that accurately defines Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar-winning character. The last half of the album is pleasing even if no other songs are as commanding as "Prospectors Arrive". The only problem being that they are almost too short to have an immediate impact. At a scant 33 minutes long, the album can come to an end before you know it. That's not to say that the songs are lacking, but I can miss them entirely if I so much as let my mind wander.

Still, there's some pretty powerful music to be found here. An enjoyable listen, I'm sure, even for those who have never seen the film.


Score: 7.5/10








"Prospectors Arrive"








"There Will Be Blood"


No comments: