Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive (2005)


Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive (2005)


Who out there doesn't enjoy a pleasant, unexpected surprise? No one? LIARS! Well I certainly do, and while listening to Ruder Forms Survive, I got one. I was really digging this record until the third song came on. The first two tracks had established Capricorns' brand of instrumental sludgy post-rock rather powerfully, and I was happily anticipating an album full of more of the same. Then, on "The First Broken Promise", on an album that I believed to be completely instrumental, a familiar voice appears out of the darkness. It's Eugene Robinson.

See, Eugene Robinson is an artist and vocalist that I've made no secret that I quite admire, therefore I'm obviously a huge fan of his band, Oxbow, and pretty much anything that he touches (artistically, that is). So having his unique vocal stylings show up completely unexpectedly on an album that I randomly purchased used was kind of like running into a good friend in a place that you least expected but right where you needed him.

Given my admiration for Robinson, it shouldn't be surprising that this my favorite song on Ruder Forms Survive, but Capricorns aren't exactly slouches without him. As I said, the first two songs, as well as the following four, hit hard, and are excellent works of groovy, sludgy post-rock. Reminds me a little bit of Pelican's old stuff, back when they had balls.


Score: 8/10








"The First Broken Promise (featuring Eugene Robinson)"








"1440: Exit Wargasmatron"


No comments: