Friday, October 3, 2008

TV On The Radio - Dear Science (2008)


TV On The Radio - Dear Science (2008)


Dear Science TV On The Radio,

I'm just going to come out and say it: you've changed. You used to be so full of life, full of potential. You were passionate, I liked that about you. But now...you just seem lost. You display the same old traits on the outside, but on the inside, I feel like something isn't right. Sometimes I swear that you're back to your old self, but just as quickly as the old you comes, it leaves again. And frankly, I'm not sure if I can handle a relationship like this anymore.

That's harsh, I know, and I don't mean to sound unsupportive. I wish nothing but the best for you, always. Please remember that. I've heard your new album. People really seem to like it, and I'm glad. Seriously, I'm glad you're reaching people and getting them excited. That's awesome. Not many people have the ability to do that, to do what you do. You should be proud. Hey, I'm proud of you. But deep down, I think you and I both know that your heart's not in it. This is easy for you. It's like you're not even trying anymore; like your fire is gone. What happened to that adventurous attitude you used to exude? The one that made you want to experiment with your art and take risks and push the envelope? I miss that about you.

I think we would both agree that this relationship hasn't been the same since Cookie Mountain. That hurt me, but even though it took me a long time, I was able to forgive you. Still, the relationship became strained, almost forced. I tried to keep reminding myself of the bright spots, like "A Method" or "Dirty Whirl", and it worked well enough for me to actually start looking forward to Dear Science. But when I listened to it, I just knew that it was over. Mentally, I knew that I wasn't going to be capable of sustaining this anymore, holding out hope that we'd be able make things like they used to be.

I tried to focus on the good times again, such as what you did with "Crying". It's really great; sort of like 80's R&B, pre-New Jack Swing era (am I crazy, or do I detect a little inspiration from the Commodore's 'Night Shift"?). Or how about that prog-funk you did with "Red Dress" and the dark gothic post-punk sound of "DLZ"? That's good stuff. I love it when you take risks like that, but everything else just sounds the same as usual. It's like you're so reluctant to leave your comfort zone, even though we usually have the most fun when you do. I need excitement in my life, TVOTR, and though I hate to say it, you've become boring and predictable. Like, what's with the tacked on string section that you used to provide the crescendo for not one, not two, but three different songs!? C'mon! Other indie bands add string sections as a crutch to make their boring music interesting. I thought you were better than that. You used to be better than that.

It's so sad, because even at your worst you're still better than most, yet for some reason you seem so content with aiming low. It's frustrating, because I know that if you really wanted to, you could be one of the most exciting and innovative modern soul/funk/R&B acts to come along in decades. Hell, you could defy classification and be in a genre all your own! I know you can, your first album hinted at that potential. But instead you just settle for being a mediocre indie rock band, and I don't understand why. I just can't bear seeing such talent wasted any longer.

I'm sorry I had to break it to you this way. I'll still keep you in my mind, and still cheer for your victories and successes, of which I'm sure you'll have many more. But it's time for us to move on and go our separate ways. In the end, it will be better for the both of us. Goodbye TVOTR. We had a good run.

With love,

xoxobra <3


Score: 4/10








"Crying"








"DLZ"


No comments: