Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Live: Sigur Rós in Tempe, AZ - 9/30/2008

Went to see Sigur Rós on Tuesday. For a band that I'd sort of lost confidence in, they were pretty awesome. They played a good mix of songs from all of their albums, including their latest one that I wasn't as impressed with compared to their previous efforts (see my review here). But they fit well within the set list. In fact, one of the better performances of the night was their latest albums' opening track, "Gobbledigook". Members of the opening band, Parachutes, came out with small drums around their waists and provided the consistent drum beat, and the song ended extravagantly with a burst of confetti that showered the front half of the venue so heavily that the musicians on stage were hardly visible. The colorful lighting during the song really added to the atmosphere. It was great. Check out some pictures:

Photobucket


Photobucket
(He does this during "Svefn-g-englar" to provide that ghostly vocal effect in the middle)

Photobucket


Photobucket
(Sigur Rós, with members of Parachutes during "Gobbledigook")

Photobucket
(And two minutes later)

The band appeared for an encore minutes after that performance and ended the show with "Untitled #8" from the ( ) album, which is possibly the most intense song in their catalog, therefore great to end a show on.

I don't go to as many concerts as I used to, so it was nice that one of the few that I've made it to in the last couple of years was worth it, especially considering a couple of concerts I attended earlier this year (Dalek/RJD2 and The Black Keys) were a bust. The crowd around me (and overall) was pretty tolerable throughout, so that was a real bonus. For whatever reason, I've always had my worst concert experiences when there were a ton of hipsters in the audience, and this show certainly wasn't lacking in hipster numbers. But this time, besides having to be subjected to some of the worst haircuts I've ever seen in one building, there was nothing much to complain about.

No comments: